There will be no next time for 2nd + PCH, the project developer said late Tuesdsay.
The Long Beach City Council voted 5-3 not to approve the $320 million development project at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and 2nd Street, after a six-hour meeting on Tuesday.
The Yes votes:
Robert Garcia, Gary DeLong and Rae Gabelich.
They supported allowing the proposal at 12 stories, which is nine stories more than current zoning restrictions allow under the Local Coastal Plan, which they also favored changing to allow the project.
Gerrie Schipske, Patrick O’Donnell, Dee Andrews, Suja Lowenthal and Steve Neal. Councilman James Johnson wasn't present Tuesday and had previously informed Long Beach Mayor Bob Foster of his preplanned absence.
Third District Councilman De Long, who represents Belmont Shore and the area where the project was proposed, said before voting “this is one of the most, if not the most, tough decisions I’ve had to make.”
“I don't like tall buildings," DeLong also remarked. "If I owned the land, which I don't, I would do a different project."
During the presentation, Raymond Linn, who owns the land, replied to rumors that he was looking for approval before selling the property. “I will be here for this project. I’m not flipping the land. This is my baby, and I’m keeping it.”
After the vote, developer David Malmuth left swiftly, telling the PressTelegram outside the chamber, "There is no next. The project's done."
Suja Lowenthal's name was unintentionally left out of the list of no votes in the early morning hours.