The mother of a Long Beach man, who was one of two men shot and killed by Huntington Beach police officers, filed a legal claim last week saying that officers wrongfully shot her son on Nov. 1, 2011, the Orange County Register reports.
The mother of 20-year-old Erick Catalan, Maria Isabel Garcia, says in her claim against the city of Huntington Beach that her son was unarmed, and that officers did not take reasonable measures to make an arrest.
Huntington Beach gang investigators told the OC Register that they had been following a suspect that they learned might be possibly armed and dangerous.
According to the OC Register, police said they were questioning a woman in the car when someone fired a .40 caliber handgun from the vehicle. The investigators returned fire killing both men inside the car, John Andrew Torres, 26, and Catalan.
Garcia’s claim states that police acted unconstitutionally and that they allegedly "planted" evidence to "cover up" the use of excessive force. (Read more here…)